[squeak-dev] Re: [documentation] HelpSystem, revision control, and process

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Apr 30 23:38:56 UTC 2010

On 4/30/2010 4:27 PM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> The reason I recommend using Trunk is so that folks don't need to switch
> contexts to add documentation. I also think that having a help system in
> a standard image is a good idea. I would expect to modify
> Smalltalk>>unloadAllKnownPackages to unload it, as I don't believe such
> a system belongs in a core image at all.
>
> These are just my feelings, though. I do appreciate your caution about
> adding bloat to Trunk; I cringe a little suggesting it, but I still
> think it's a good idea. Would you be willing to wait a bit, and gauge
> the broader community's opinion before making a decision about this?

Personally, I'm in favor of this approach for reasons of raising the
perceived value of documentation. Someone who writes documentation in
Squeak is improving it every bit as much as someone who is writing code.
Giving them access to the trunk is one of the ways in which we can
visibly acknowledge the contribution.

And of course, just as with code contributions, if we want documentation
we need to make it easy to contribute and provide a clear path for
contributions. Giving the people working on the documentation unfettered
access to the trunk is in line with that goal.

Cheers,
   - Andreas