[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Re: Menu Registries

Alain Plantec alain.plantec at free.fr
Thu Apr 29 10:21:09 UTC 2010

Andreas Raab a écrit :
> On 4/28/2010 11:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Good but what is your point?
>
> Compatibility and simplicity.
Come on Andreas, "simple" is not so much more precise than "cool"

and I don't think that having:

------------------
Editor class>>blinkingCursor
  ^ BlinkingCursor ifNil: [ true ]

EditorSetting class>>editorSettingsOn: aBuilder
  <systemsettings>
  (aBuilder setting: #blinkingCursor)
    label:'Blinking Text Cursor')
    parent: #Morphic;
    target: Editor;
-------------------

is so much more "complicated" than

-------------------
Editor class>>blinkingCursor
  <preference: 'Blinking Text Cursor'
    category: 'Morphic'
    type: #Boolean>
  ^ BlinkingCursor ifNil: [ true ]

You prefer UI+domain mixing, we prefer UI separated from domain.
And yes, the SettingBrowser implementation could be improved.
I know, but I'm happy because it can be removed or remade
without any other consequence.
And compare it to the PreferenceBrowser ...

Cheers
Alain