[squeak-dev] Squeak All-in-One

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 12:48:20 UTC 2010

On 29 April 2010 11:51, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> (resending with proper subject)
>
> Agreed. Let's build it. But Amazon marketing be damned, please don't call
> it "1-click". Makes me cringe every time.
>
> Actually ... I just made one. Only tested on Mac and Linux-i686, but
> chances are it works on Windows, too:
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/Experiments/Squeak-4.1-All-in-One.zip
>
> - Bert -
>
> Very nice work.

What I've done is use that All-in-One file, and incorporated a version of
Stephane's muO work, so there's now a prototype muO All-in-One file
available at http://www.filebanker.com/muo-all-in-one (random hosting
service). This took half an hour for me to do, so we've now got a nice basis
for any developer to quickly package up their work for wide distribution.

Some notes on this file:
- It uses a 3.8-based image that Stephane put out, so it's not 100% what
we're talking about here (I know that muO has been ported to 4.1 now, but it
takes a bit more work to put together).
- I've crudely updated the splash screen to reflect that "All-in-One" is a
general Squeak approach to putting out a quick "trial" configuration.
- It seems to load okay, but I'm not sure if it actually works fully because
I couldn't figure out how muO works (but that's not the point).

Michael