[squeak-dev] Re: A little 4.1 press coverage

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 20:42:33 UTC 2010

On 28 April 2010 01:17, Ian Trudel <ian.trudel at gmail.com> wrote:

> [snip]

> If you want to promote the use of Squeak, you need to find people with a
> > Squeak-shaped hole in their lives, help them recognise that the hole
> exists,
> > convince them that Squeak can fill the hole, and make filling that hole
> as
> > enjoyable as possible [note to self, never use this uncomfortable
> metaphor
> > again].
>

> Are you a golfer? :)

No, golf was not what was disturbing me...

[snip]
> How about we have a great programming environment? It's called Squeak.
>
> Clear and simple. Squeak has its own features. Can't we show them off
> (screenshots, videos, etc)? Perhaps I don't understand anything you're
> writing. :)
>
> No, that's where we're totally in agreement. If people are happy to produce
videos etc, go for it.

 [snip, then "Developers"]

> I think it's a good target audience. What kind of efforts have been
> deployed to reach them on the sites you have mentioned?

Whenever I post an article on news.squeak.org, I write it thinking of that
wider audience. I include images to help people engage with what's being
discussed and the most useful links I can find. If I think it will be of
particular interest, I post it to a few of the sites I mentioned. If I see a
discussion in one of my RSS feeds that touches on Smalltalk or Squeak, I see
if I can contribute to that discussion by adding information and correcting
misunderstandings. I recognise a few other names of contributors on some of
these sites also making similar efforts, so there's a few of us out there
already doing this, but the more of us who do that, the clearer the
understanding of Squeak will be.

> Blogging about Squeak is a good idea but it may have its shortcomings.
> For example, Squeak related blogs are unlikely to attract newcomers.
> Anyway, I wrote a bit about Squeak on my blog and I certainly did my
> part in that respect. Others reading this should consider writing
> about Squeak on their blog as well; this is a form of contribution!

Absolutely, I noticed your posts, and look forward to seeing more of them!

Cheers, Michael