[squeak-dev] Re: MC fix-while-compiling broken

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Apr 28 01:53:42 UTC 2010

On 4/27/2010 6:42 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Hmm... is this because I have a series of update maps in SqS/VMMaker, and
> the MCMcmUpdate tries to load them all in sequence? The earlier maps would
> point to versions of VMMaker that still have the "- 16" syntax problem.
>
> So I probably should just delete the old versions of update-dtl.N.mcm,
> right?

You should probably not issue any config map updates except the very
first one. The reason being that each config map is considered a
"package checkpoint" where these specific versions of the packages have
to be present in the image before the updater continues.

This is critical if we have brutal changes like the closure stuff, but
is only confusing when it comes to a package like VMMaker that almost
never has life instances to worry about. The updater *always* updates
the last configuration found to the latest package version in the
repository so a single MCM can be used for a long time until you either
add a package, or remove a package, or need a package checkpoint.

Cheers,
   - Andreas