[squeak-dev] Float storage as Double?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Apr 26 19:53:39 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> writes:

Chris> Hi Levente, it does?  Does that mean that (Float fromIEEE32Bit:
Chris> myFloat asIEEE32BitWord) loses information?  What would be a more
Chris> precise method of serialization then?

You know, if you aren't going to pay attention to what I was saying
in the #squeak channel, why were you even asking.

I *said* this to you.  I said "looks like Float is 64 bit, and
FloatArray is 32..Maybe mandel is storing things in FloatArray and
that's where you're getting your truncation from, and if so one way out
of that would be to use real Array instead of FloatArray"

I'm slightly tweaked that you ignored that, and you're now at the same
place two days later.

I also told you that Mandel is always a myth, because the point at which
the powers exceed 2 depends very much (butterfly effect-ish) on the
precision of the representation.  A version with 48-bit mantissas will
look different than one with 24-bit mantissas, and different again from
one with 100-bit mantissas.