handling Inbox contributions was: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: Morphic-kb.428.mcz

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Apr 26 18:10:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 19:55 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 26.04.2010, at 19:38, Ken Causey wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 12:14 -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> >> When someone commits to trunk, the e-mail gives the name of the
> >> contriibutor.  Would that also be useful for inbox contributions?
> >
> > Of course but this would happen (and only happen) if the user logged
> in
> > before submitting the contribution.  Right now for perfectly valid
> > reasons we don't require logging in wishing the inbox to be as open
> as
> > reasonably possible.
> >
> > I recently suggested we change this to require logging in since
> creating
> > an account is open to everyone and it seems like a small enough
> barrier
> > to me.  But it is a barrier and therefore worthy of consideration,
> pros
> > versus cons, etc.
> >
> > Ken
>
> Yes, it's a lot easier to say "when you have a fix, just select the
> inbox and commit your package", instead of explaining how to register
> (you need a web browser for that, can't do from within Squeak), then
> modify the repository definitions to add your user name, but alert
> them to not fill in the password yet, then commit ... If committing to
> the inbox would ask your username and allow to create an account right
> there (and remember it for the next time) then this might be a lot
> less inconvenient.
>
> Also, squeaksource does not yet support "being logged in" as an access
> restriction anyway. It's either "everyone can write without logging
> in" or "only approved developers can write".
>
> Help welcome, the server code we're running is at
> http://source.squeak.org/ss.html
>
> - Bert -

Yes, it would be nice to have this concept of 'just being logged in' as
a criteria, which it is currently not.  But it occurs to me that there
are other possibly simpler solutions:

1. Create a new group, called maybe 'developers'; assign all
source.squeak.org members to this group.  Set this as the group for the
inbox and set it to limit write access to the members.  Have it send an
email to box-admins each time someone signs up.  Then one of us, as
quickly as possible, manually assigns new members to the 'developers'
group.

2.  Better would be to change the account creation so it automatically
assigns new signups to the 'developer's group.

This does not eliminate the need to go through the web page to create an
account, but at least cuts down on current technical limitations.
Personally I don't see the requirement to be willing to create an
account as significant.

Ken