[squeak-dev] What is the plan for 4.2?

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 20:00:43 UTC 2010

Dear all,

my impression is that we've got a gorgeous release with lots of good
things under and above the hood. So far, I'm happy. :-)

But there's going to be a Squeak 4.2, right? Now what's going to
happen to make it happen? What things are intended? Is there even a
consistent overall idea of what should be achieved for 4.2? Is there
any idea? A "vision", so to speak?

I can sense some things, I'd like to have some things. If you ask me,
personally, I'd love to see Squeak 4.2 as the best documented
Smalltalk out there. I'd also like to see more native GUI support, a
JIT compiler, and transparent multicore exploitation. Anyway, I'd like
to see more tests, and a green bar.

Eventually, I'd really really love to have a nice and high-level VM
implementation (both like and unlike PyPy). But that's probably for
6.0 or so.

Now is the time.

Best,

Michael