[squeak-dev] Contributing to inbox (was: The Inbox: DesktopBackgroundLoader-sbw.20.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Apr 25 15:08:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 11:47:53PM -0500, Steve Wessels wrote:

> I could take another crack at this capability but I'm not really
> certain how the Squeak Community handles this kind of thing anymore.
> I've pretty much stayed away from the main mailing list the past few
> years so I'm coming into this sort of thing unawares of how code is
> added to the base anymore.

Hi Steve,

It's really good to see you back!

The development model is described here:
  http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/

The trunk and inbox repositories are at http://source.squeak.org/.
Make an account for yourself ("Register Member") and you're good
to go.

If you work with a development image that is up to date with the trunk,
then you can save your contributions to the inbox repository. Assuming
that you are using a Squeak 4.1 image, then the key things to do are:

- Point the Monticello update stream back at the trunk:
     Tools -> Preferences -> Monticello -> Update URL -> trunk

- Bring your image up to date with trunk (do this frequently):
     world -> help... -> Update code from server

That's about it. Anyone keeping up with trunk development can browse
your inbox entries with a Monticello browser, and load them to try
them out. Folks with trunk access can move them into trunk.

Of course if you are working on a package that is big enough to
maintain separately, you will still want to do that on SqueakSource.

Dave