[squeak-dev] Re: looks evolution

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 07:47:02 UTC 2010

And there is the entry

NEW Skins support for Squeak 3.4/3.5/3.6/3.7

http://squeak.preeminent.org/

Steve writes that he has successfully imported imported and tested 35
themes at that time (June 2004) From:
http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/925/?topic_id=925

Skins [ENH]
13-Jul-2004 tested in Squeak 3.7beta update #5878
13-Apr-2003 tested in Squeak 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 alpha

NEW Skins support for Squeak 3.4/3.5/3.6/3.7
In early February 2003 someone wrote to me again asking if I would
please port the old skins code over to Squeak version 3. Fact of the
matter is, I did not want to port the old skins code because of a
number of outstanding issues. However, I did start working on a
re-write a few weekends ago and this is a PRELIMINARY result.

This new model attempts to accomplish a couple of goals that I saw as
defects in the original skins model:
# Use "standard" theme files from the open source Linux world.
# Replace existing morphic components in the skinned window by finding
them dynamically and not requiring special subclassed window code.
# Provide a way to delete a theme and restore the window to it's original state.

I've accomplished those goals. Also, the framework can be extended to
support other imported theme files. At this time the skins framework
will import the "Ice Window Manager" themes directly as can be found
at a site like http://themes.freshmeat.net. I have successfuly
imported and tested 35 themes from that site in Squeak with this new
skins code. No special handling of the theme files is required. Just
uncompress them and tell Squeak where to find them. More about the
actual skins theme process later... The nice part about this approach
is that I don't have to concern myself with distibution of themes and
art work. Lots of existing themes already exist and are being added
regularly. The Ice Window Manager themes were selected as my first
importer because they seemed to be the easiest to understand and seem
to be standard forms based theme designs. At this time window title
bar, title bar buttons and window borders are imported and managed by
the skins framework.