[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Talking to Steve Jobs about Scratch.

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Fri Apr 23 13:22:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> > All of what you say is quite possibly true. HOWEVER, Scratch on the
> iPhone isn't really Squeak on the iphone, but a very tiny subset of squeak's
> capabilities exposed to grade school programmers. As far as I know, there's
> no way in scratch to directly access ANY iphone capability. Its all done in
> the scratch programming sandbox, so the ban on Scratch is just an overly
> literal reading of Apple's ban on 3rd party IDEs.
>
> The banning of Scratch has *nothing* to do with the fact that it's written
> in Squeak. All the other Squeak apps are still in the app store.
>
> Apples language restriction only applies to iPhone OS 4. That is no going
> to be released before the summer.
>
> Apple has not removed a single app because of what language it was
> implemented in. Yet.
>
> Now I neither like the removal of Scratch nor the possible future
> restriction of languages. But lets keep to the facts.
>
> Maybe we could see a raise of hands who is actually working on a Squeak app
> for the iPhone / iPad?
>
> - Bert -

There is an important point that Lawson makes and that is that you cannot
directly access native iPhone features in scratch, and as such, it would not
make for a suitable alternative to Apple's IDE for people wanting to build
native iPhone apps.  Perhaps it is on those grounds that Apple could be
convinced to reverse its decision about Scratch (and perhaps it might lead
them to fine tune the language in their agreement).

- Stephen