[squeak-dev] HelpSystem (was Documentation Team)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 22:39:12 UTC 2010

On 4/21/10, Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net> wrote:
>> Most systems do not try to implement an HTML viewer.  Instead, they
>> talk to whatever web browser you are already using.  Why can't Squeak
>> do the same?  There ought to be some way ti send a URL to an already
>> open browser and tell it to open a window on it.  This is probably
>> done differently on the Mac, WIndows and Linux, but we out to be able
>> to make a simple Squeak API to hide this.
>
> +1
>
> Stef

On 4/21/10, Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net> wrote:
>> Most systems do not try to implement an HTML viewer.  Instead, they
>> talk to whatever web browser you are already using.  Why can't Squeak
>> do the same?  There ought to be some way ti send a URL to an already
>> open browser and tell it to open a window on it.  This is probably
>> done differently on the Mac, WIndows and Linux, but we out to be able
>> to make a simple Squeak API to hide this.
>
> +1
>
> Stef

+1

Waiting for an HTMLcanvas should not be on the critical path for
releasing the help system.
Most important are keywords/tags for the help topics.

Having a simple markup language and render it in a text canvas or as
needed in an external web browser should do the job.

On the other side a SimpleHTMLcanvas which does basic things like
bold/italic/quotation/pictures/links should not the _that_ difficult.

Please note that this thread is going on exclusively on the Pharo
list. An interesting link from there about an web documentation
prototype done by Laurent Laffond

http://magaloma.seasidehosting.st/Collections-Streams

Hannes