[squeak-dev] Re: Proposal: Project Pink Book

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Apr 21 06:38:19 UTC 2010

On 4/20/2010 11:23 PM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
>     * Shoot for a concrete near-term achievable goal, for example:
>     Combining HelpSystem with the workspace hack that I used for the
>     release workspaces (i.e., just compile the text as a method) and
>     then just allow people to start writing things.
>
>     I think in this phase it's more important to get a process going
>     than to try to perfect the tools.
>

> Totally; what's funny is, I wasn't aware of HelpSystem until today (I
> seem to have missed the previous thread about it) and was expecting to
> have to build that part myself. My plan was to just send things
> #storeString and stick them in methods, and see how far that took me. I
> will dig through my files to revisit the workspace hack.
>
> As I write this I've sent #storeString to a HelpTopic automatically
> generated from Integer and it looks as though it worked and performed
> acceptably. My gut say this is going to work.

Try this too: Load HelpSystem, file in the attached code. Then edit your
help pages simply via:

	HelpOnHelp edit: #introduction.

This uses the trick that I mentioned above. You can edit text just like
you usually would with all Squeaky goodness like emphasis, doIts,
printIts etc. When done, simply accept and the method gets compiled.
Extra bonus: Changing the window label also changes the topic title :-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas