[squeak-dev] Re: Why isn't Squeak 4.1 updating?

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 12:17:54 UTC 2010

Em 20-04-2010 06:04, Bert Freudenberg escreveu:
> (...)
> Well, maybe I misunderstood the question, but I expect to see changes in trunk that you would not want to see in 4.1. It's our current stable release (btw, someone should update Wikipedia) so if packages are posted to the 4.1 repository, they would not simply be taken from trunk. They would be carefully selected, high-impact fixes only.

Most things in trunk are enhancements, updates and fixes. Perhaps
enhancements won't go to 4.1 if they're found inconvenient or useless
but till now I haven't seen back steps. I see trunk as a kind of
Fedora's rawhide and I understand that I will eventually find alpha/beta
stuff stuff inside that will be replaced in next updates. That's not a
problem for me.
> I guess I don't know what "compatibility" means in this discussion ...

Among other things, compatibility means that something was present
before updates and disappear after them (missing/renamed
methods/messages for instance) so packages that were working just stop
to do so. Changes in behavior also impact compatibility.