[squeak-dev] Re: Call For *Your* Opinion

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Apr 20 02:49:37 UTC 2010

On 4/19/2010 3:49 AM, Ian Trudel wrote:
> I would like to call for your opinion(s) in regard to contributions. I
> am a firm believer in surveying the community in order to improve our
> sense of direction, our culture, and bonding as a community.

Thanks for the post.

> 1. What are your biggest hurdles preventing you from contributing to Squeak?

A day job :-)

> 2. What would it take for you to contribute more?

Getting fired? ... wait, that sounds wrong :-)

> 3. What are your expectations in regard to contributions?

Depends on the size/scope of the contribution. Generally, I expect
check-in comments (and we have those, thanks everyone). Beyond that it
gets a bit blurry. Good documentation never hurts and providing a test
or two is almost always beneficial. But I wouldn't let have this be in
the way of a valuable contribution.

> 4. What are the reasons behind the low level of contributions from
> other community members, according to you?

(not necessarily in this order)
- Lack of time
- Lack of documentation
- Small size of total community

> 5. What would you improve in order to increase the number of
> contributions and the number of contributors?

- make Squeak more compelling to encourage new users
- re-integrate other communities (Etoys, Cobalt, Pharo)

> 6. How would you rate your sense of social identification to the
> Squeak community, on a scale from 1 to 10. (1 is the lowest, 10 the
> highest)

10

> 7. What is your rating based on?

Length and relative level of interaction.

> 8. Anything else?

I think this is a really interesting experiment.

Cheers,
   - Andreas