[squeak-dev] Re: Call For *Your* Opinion

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Mon Apr 19 16:39:49 UTC 2010

Ian Trudel-2 wrote:

> 1. What are your biggest hurdles preventing you from contributing to
> Squeak?

* Developer tools: I don't know how to get my development tools installed.
I tried for a while yesterday to install the common ones from Pharo to no
avail.  If I had OCompletion, Refactoring browser, and Omnibrowser, and 02
for traits, I would be much happier.
* Package installation in general - I have no idea how to get packages (or
even what most of them do).  There's squeaksource, personal squeaksources
(e.g. lukas), Monticello, Metacello, Gopher...  And very little package
documentation.
  - For example, coming from Ruby and Rspec, it hurts me to use the word
"test" ;-), so I wanted to install SSpec.  There are two repositories on
squeaksource - Sspec and Testing - which have a bunch of packages.  Some of
them are SUnit-related.  I don't know which packages to install from which
URL.  Given that they are a year old, I have no idea if the SUnit parts are
compatible with current Squeak.  So I tried all different combinations and
all resulted in many failed tests in SUnit.  Eventually, I ran the tests
from the O2 browser in Pharo and found out the SSpec itself is in pretty
good shape with most unit tests passing, just not from SUnit!  There's a few
hours that I could have spent contributing down the drain.
  - Is Metacello for Squeak or just Pharo?  Are the configurations there
guaranteed to be the latest?

Ian Trudel-2 wrote:

> 2. What would it take for you to contribute more?

* An easy way to setup the common tools/packages - like in Pharo's welcome
window, there's executable gopher statements to get the most common outside
tools.
* A central place where we can keep track of which packages are working, or
what it would take to get them working.  I'm sure we're all repeating the
same work individually.

Ian Trudel-2 wrote:

> 3. What are your expectations in regard to contributions?

None.  I'm happy to do anything I can because I think that the corporate
MS/Apple machine we have is garbage/unworkable, and I will do what it takes
to bring the experience of open personal computing to everyone.  My life as
it pertains to computers is dedicated to fulfilling on the dynabook vision -
if my little nephew or grandma can't figure out how to do it (while allowing
unlimited customization for power-users), throw the whole thing in the
garbage and start over.

Ian Trudel-2 wrote:

> 4. What are the reasons behind the low level of contributions from
> other community members, according to you?

I've only been around a short while, but I have sensed resignation:
  - that change is too slow / never going to happen
  - that the masses are too stupid to ever get what we're doing
  - that new people have enough knowledge to contribute anything

Ian Trudel-2 wrote:

> 5. What would you improve in order to increase the number of
> contributions and the number of contributors?

* Give people a clear picture of how.  Two great examples:
  - http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-contribute-to-pharo.html
  - http://book.pharo-project.org/book/
* Have the tools and packages be easily accessible, or at least
crystal-clear what does/doesn't/can't work in each version of the image.

Ian Trudel-2 wrote:

> 6. How would you rate your sense of social identification to the
> Squeak community, on a scale from 1 to 10. (1 is the lowest, 10 the
> highest)

10 in passion and vision, but just getting to know people.

Ian Trudel-2 wrote:

> 7. What is your rating based on?

Being driven and aligned, but new to it all.

Ian Trudel-2 wrote:

> 8. Anything else?

Thank you for setting this up.

Sean DeNigris