[squeak-dev] Call For *Your* Opinion

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 12:29:59 UTC 2010

On 4/19/10 8:46 AM, "Stéphane Rollandin" <lecteur at zogotounga.net> wrote:

>> 1. What are your biggest hurdles preventing you from contributing to Squeak?
>
> 1) High traffic in squeak-dev list, meaning many messages are not read
> properly. Of course I could use Mantis I guess :)
>
> 2) Tedious discussions and painful nitpicking. I hate to defend my
> ideas, but find myself rather often cornered into having to do so. This
> definitely prevents me from offering much more bug fixes and proposals
> than I currently do.
>
>> 2. What would it take for you to contribute more?
>
> More attention from others. I could say: take this image I just
> uploaded, see all the fixes and improvements that are in, vote for
> inclusion and I submit the corresponding code. I won't do that now
> because I know nobody is ever going to actually have a look. Time is
> short for many it seems.
>
>> 3. What are your expectations in regard to contributions?
>
> see above
>
>> 4. What are the reasons behind the low level of contributions from
>> other community members, according to you?
>
> The vocal people on squeak-dev are very intimidating. I guess they don't
> realize that.
>
>> 5. What would you improve in order to increase the number of
>> contributions and the number of contributors?
>
> Dunno.
>
>> 6. How would you rate your sense of social identification to the
>> Squeak community, on a scale from 1 to 10. (1 is the lowest, 10 the
>> highest)
>
> Although I have been around for nearly 10 years, I don't feel very much
> part of the community, but actually I don't think there is such thing as
> a Squeak community. Many people, many different interests.
>
>> 7. What is your rating based on?
>
> I'm not into ratings.
>
>> 8. Anything else?
>
> Good that you asked these questions. It's useful.
>

> Stef
>

>From the Ostracism, can't agree more with Stephane.
A big +1 to all.

A million green test means nothing. You must USE the real thing for discover
the ugly true

The present release is full of bugs, as seems some do death threats if not
going public.

I know compatibility is a coin of two faces, sometimes help and sometimes
not, but zero discuss of this important subject.

It's true we have a great team of hard workers but zero coordination of
they, in the long run this is BAD

Edgar in his  Advocatus Diaboli rol again :=)