[squeak-dev] Re: autoAccessors broken in 4.1 rc5

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Apr 18 21:38:10 UTC 2010

On 4/18/2010 9:12 AM, Chris Muller wrote:
> So my question is:  Given that we are all trying to make the image
> smaller and cleaner, how did this happen?

Lack of tests.

> We know better than to half-introduce a feature or half-remove a
> feature.  What happened here and do we need to consider additional
> quality-control measures to catch these sorts of things?

More tests.

> Here is one example:  Before I version anything in MC, I review the
> "Changes" list, and review every single change, to understand and
> confirm why it was made.  I *assume* that everyone else does this too;
> but then I won't tell you what my mother told me about "assume".

I do, but what you're seeing here is likely the result of unexpected
side-effects in an infrequently used part of the system. Given the
infrequent use, the only thing that helps us tracking it is more tests.
In particular when we find issues that had been broken as the side
effect of other changes, documenting and testing these relationships is
important.

Cheers,
   - Andreas