[squeak-dev] widget sets/GUI builders

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Sat Apr 17 17:00:00 UTC 2010

Which, if any of the GUI builders (e.g.,
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1576) work in 3.10.2 and are likely to
work in 4.x?

Even though I've built squeak GUIs before, I'm finding that making a
basic data entry form is quite a project.  Among the problems:

* no standard one line text entry widget (PluggableTextMorph can be
adopted, but needs lots of tweaks and doesn't include a label)
* no grouping boxes for sets of related widgets (I suppose a
RectangleMorph would server)
* layout not obvious, and not well documented.  There was a nice
tutorial on the the SuperSwiki, but that's gone and the the layout logic
may have moved on a bit.

For example, I tried
| w m |
w := SystemWindow labelled: 'Test'.
w layoutPolicy: TableLayout new.
m := PluggableTextMorph on: w text: #label accept: #label:.
w addMorph: m.
w openInHand.

The window border decorations appear individually below the text field,
rather than around the edge of the window.  I've since noticed that
SystemWindow has a ProportionalLayout by default.

I suppose I should put some morph  (what?) insider the SystemWindow and
do the layout in the inner morph.

It's not clear if some of the layout related methods (e.g., about
frames) are only for TableLayout or only for ProportionalLayout.

Ross