[squeak-dev] Re: Note: Squeak 4.1 Unix - preset preferences for right mouse button

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Apr 17 09:05:01 UTC 2010

On 17.04.2010, at 10:21, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Saturday 17 April 2010 03:29:00 am Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Windows always had 2-button mice
>> and not being able to operate the context menus just because some aging
>> gentlemen insisted that the middle button must operate the context menu
>> was just crazy.
> Morphic/Etoys users bring up halo menu much more frequently than context
> menus. Perhaps the change was introduced for Morphic interface?

No, there simply was no change of default in the unix and Mac VMs. Andreas changed it for Windows as he wrote above.

That said, IMHO it's time to fix it. Squeak should by default use the platform conventions. That is, use ctrl-c for copy on windows and unix, and cmd-c on Mac. And the right mouse button should bring up the context menu by default on all platforms.

There is a problem for Etoys however, which shares the VM with Squeak (at least on unix). Etoys users need the traditional mapping, the right mouse button needs to bring up the halo. Right now I can't think of a good way to change the VM's default and still have Etoys work correctly out-of-the-box (we have no way to tell).

- Bert -