[squeak-dev] Re: Note: Squeak 4.1 Unix - preset preferences for right mouse button

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Apr 17 00:30:00 UTC 2010

Andreas Raab wrote:
> On 4/16/2010 2:32 PM, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>> As I rethink about this I would say it is a bug.
>
> I agree.
>
>> I install the Windows version and the Linux version of a platform
>> independent system. As I move with my data file (the image) from
>> Windows to Linux the behaviour of the right mouse button changes. I
>> learn from Chris that it has been like this for years. I had not
>> realised this as I had been been using mainly MSWindows in the past.
>>
>> What can be done about it?
>
> Two things:
>
> 1) Define that by default the RIGHT mouse button triggers the context
> menu, not the middle-mouse button / scroll wheel click. This is the
> historical reason for the difference - Windows always had 2-button
> mice and not being able to operate the context menus just because some
> aging gentlemen insisted that the middle button must operate the
> context menu was just crazy. As a consequence I changed the mapping in
> the Windows VM only. As soon as we have clarity on that we can proceed
> to the next step.

Big + 1 from me.

I have been a long time OS/2 and Windows user, and got my first Mac 2
years ago. Now I run Mac apps side by side with Windows apps (using Sun
VirtualBox). Now, no matter in which OS I am, I open a halo about half
the times I want a menu! I know I can tweak the Mac VM to do it 'right',
but some time I updated the VM and lost the config. Besides, it would be
much easier to talk about 'right button', especially with end users and
in the code itself. Furthermore, in regular Mac applications, when using
a 3 button mice, it is right button the one that opens the context menu.

<really off topic>
The other thing that kills me, although it is not Squeak related, is to
need to remember to use <command> in Mac and <alt> in Windows do stuff
like copy and paste in a regular text editor or web browser.
BTW, I really love Apple hardware, as much as I dislike their software.
Running Windows on a Mac is great.
</really of topic>

> 2) Normalize the reporting of left/middle/right button in ALL VMs,
> including Mac

This would be great.

> which is screwed up just as badly since the keyboard modifiers used to
> get to the menus do not actually do the same thing as the buttons that
> are supposedly associated with the modifiers. (I don't recall the
> details but it was something like Ctrl+Left button gets you to the
> context menu but an actual 3button mouse on Mac generates Opt+Left
> button or something along those lines).
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Don't know about this. Perhaps John can clarify. Anyway, I can do some
Mac testing if you want.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich