[squeak-dev] Re: Note: Squeak 4.1 Unix - preset preferences for right mouse button

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Apr 16 21:59:00 UTC 2010

On 4/16/2010 2:32 PM, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> As I rethink about this I would say it is a bug.

I agree.

> I install the Windows version and the Linux version of a platform
> independent system. As I move with my data file (the image) from
> Windows to Linux the behaviour of the right mouse button changes. I
> learn from Chris that it has been like this for years. I had not
> realised this as I had been been using mainly MSWindows in the past.
>
> What can be done about it?

Two things:

1) Define that by default the RIGHT mouse button triggers the context
menu, not the middle-mouse button / scroll wheel click. This is the
historical reason for the difference - Windows always had 2-button mice
and not being able to operate the context menus just because some aging
gentlemen insisted that the middle button must operate the context menu
was just crazy. As a consequence I changed the mapping in the Windows VM
only. As soon as we have clarity on that we can proceed to the next step.

2) Normalize the reporting of left/middle/right button in ALL VMs,
including Mac which is screwed up just as badly since the keyboard
modifiers used to get to the menus do not actually do the same thing as
the buttons that are supposedly associated with the modifiers. (I don't
recall the details but it was something like Ctrl+Left button gets you
to the context menu but an actual 3button mouse on Mac generates
Opt+Left button or something along those lines).

Cheers,
   - Andreas