[squeak-dev] Talking to Steve Jobs about Scratch.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Apr 16 18:09:31 UTC 2010

Let me give everyone an update on what is going on with Scratch.app, I've seen lots of discussion and speculation flow by on the esug, scratch and pharo lists, some of it correct, and some of it incorrect.

First, Scratch.app was remove from sale in the app store because the Scratch programming language is an interpreted language, and it's not on the approved interpreted language list.  My understanding is that Apple has not yet rejected apps because they are "made" with a particular language.  The rejection is solely due to the result of Scratch being a non approved 'interpreted" language.

Second, I drafted a letter titled: "Rejecting an app with foundations in the Dynabook vision" and posted it to: https://devforums.apple.com/thread/46425

At this time, this letter is not for public viewing since I want to have more discussion with Apple and the paid Apple developer community. It seems having public rage about the unfairness about what Apple is doing just makes Apple less receptive to dialog. I would ask the community not to cross post my letter anywhere until we have had more discussions with Apple. As an example this morning there was talk with a member of the App review team about having this matter ending up on Phil Shiller's desk.

Third, I sent a copy of the letter to Steve Jobs.  He did respond.  Our incomplete conversation is private, no solution or decision has been reached, and due to Apple's earnings reports coming up next tuesday I don't foresee any activity on the matter until after that event.

Fourth, I have interest & support from Dr Alan Kay, Dr Mitchel Resnick, and others, I think people do take the matter about the freedom to write applications in a language of their choosing and using a particular implementation (interpreted, JIT, compiled) seriously, so I hope movement with Apple on the general topic will occur shortly.

Once Apple's management team has made a response I'm sure you will all hear about it.

--
John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882