[squeak-dev] Terminate a process in a Win32Shell

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Apr 15 16:33:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:26:07AM -0500, Arushi Aggarwal wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Arushi,
> >
> >> r = t fork.
> >
> > Even if you corrected this assignment, you would only have a Smalltalk
> > "Process" object, which only terminates processes running in or above
> > the interpreter; they have nothing to do with OS processes.
> >
> > To control OS processes, check out OSProcess
>
> I am working on windows, and using OSProcess/Squeak Shell I was not
> able to get it to execute an executable. Any pointers for that?

Information on OSProcess is here:
  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/708

I have not updated the page in a while, but the information on that
page is still valid.

The OSProcessPlugin for Windows is not distributed with the VM, so
you would need to build your own if you want to do this. With the
plugin in place, you can start external processes and terminate them
with #terminate as you would expect.

To build the plugin you need the OSProcessPlugin and VMMaker packages
from http://squeaksource.com.

Dave