[squeak-dev] Re: Can i has underscores? :)

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Wed Apr 14 18:31:15 UTC 2010

>>> Why if its not a problem for rest of the world of importing an old-format
>>> data,
>>> for us this seems like an impenetrable barrier?
>>
>> because it's not data, it's syntax.
>>
> Wrong. Computer can't make a difference between one sequence of bytes
> and another one.
> It is we, humans, who making a difference and instructing computer to
> process one data differently than another.

well, if it so, why are people commonly speaking of Lisp as the only
language where code format is the same as data format ? which allows
macros, backquoting, etc. anyway I don't want to argue on this point, as
the distinction is very clear to me, so if we don't agree let it be so.
I believe I have said enough about the underscore issue in Squeak; I
have nothing more to add about this.

best,

Stef