[squeak-dev] Re: Can i has underscores? :)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Apr 14 15:32:05 UTC 2010

On 4/14/2010 7:47 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> And, all who saying 'lets keep underscores' is ones who want to keep
> our smalltalk dialect balkanized from the rest of the world.

Sorry, but that's complete BS. The main motivation to keep things as is
was backwards compatibility. No solution has been brought forward to
address the issue of how to deal with existing code that uses underscore
assignment. As long as nobody is offering a solution to this problem,
I'm not willing to give up underscore assignments. If you can't even
load the code that's been written for 4.0 into 4.1 something's
*seriously* wrong with your priorities.

Not being able to load code *written for Squeak* into Squeak, hurts us a
*lot* more than not being able to load code into Squeak that wasn't
written for it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas