[squeak-dev] Squeaking up for "'click' sound play"

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 15:00:53 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 14 April 2010 06:55:04 am Jerome Peace wrote:
> The number or name of something acts as a modifier, yet if you use the
> number or name first in squeak it is a receiver. To have a worthwhile
> language which resembles my speaking language I choose to allow my
> modifiers to be receivers.
>
> It is stupid IMO to invent classes inorder to use modifiers as argument
> parameters. In squeak modifiers sometimes belong in the position of
> receivers.
Please consider all implications of your proposal.

Tokens like 'click', #click or 23 are not modifiers. They are just abstract
indices. They don't mean anything by themselves. A context is needed to impart
meaning to them.

You are suggesting that we embed this context into the String class. But the
same logic may lead others to patching Symbol and Number classes too.

The scheme will blow up in multilingual situations. How do you handle language
variants - 'hello', 'allo', 'hola' and so on.

Take another example, say 'bark'. I may want to generate a 'bow wow' sound in
a particular context and 'woof woof' in another context. I would rather have
this logic put into Sound class rather spread it amongst basic classes.

Would you extend the same reasoning to
1005 asPlatformName
    ^Smalltalk current getSystemAttribute: self.

Subbu