[squeak-dev] Are Squeak processes pre-emptive?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 19:53:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm not very well-versed in process-scheduling, but I'm having
> trouble understanding why you don't like sending the last pre-empted
> process to the back of its queue of processes waiting at that level.
> Doesn't that seem more "fair" and also, allow "smoother" multi-tasking
> since those other processes at that level would get a turn?
>
> Your reason was:  "It means one cannot rely on cooperative scheduling
> within a priority level."  but I don't understand what you mean by
> "rely on"?

A cooperative scheduler is one in which it is guaranteed that another
process does not run until the active process chooses to yield.  This makes
it easy to implement particular forms of synchronisation because processes
are not preemptive.  The Smalltalk scheduler is a form of real-time
scheduler in which processes have fixed priorities and are only preempted by
higher-priroity processes.  This also makes it easy to implement various
kinds of multi-process behaviour because one is guaranteed that a
lower-priority process is never running while a higher priority process is
able to run.

If one arranges that the scheduler does not put processes to the back of the
run queue on preemption then within a priority level scheduling is
cooperative and those simple synchronisation algorithms can still function
when used by processes within the same priority.

One can still implement moving to the back of the queue on preemption with
Smalltalk code if the VM does not, but one cannot prevent being put to the
back if the VM does.

So having the VM not put processes to the back of the queue is generally
more useful and flexible.

Your point about fairness is an important one, but being put to the back of
the run queue on preemption does not in any way guarantee fairness.
 Consider examples where some lower-priority process needs to kick a
higher-priority process briefly, but the lower-priority process is
contending with other lower-priroity processes.  The lower-priroity kicker
can't avoid giving up the processor to the other contending processes and so
the result could be unfairness.  Fairness is going to have to be defined in
some context and a policy implemented to maintain that regime.  merely
having the VM scheduler force an implicit yield on preemption is not enough
to implement fairness.

cheers
Eliot