[squeak-dev] Re: #recreateSpecialObjectsArray woes

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 17:43:06 UTC 2010

On 12 April 2010 19:32, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 4/12/2010 7:17 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> what you think?
>
> I think "no, no, no". Two reasons: 1) the extension of the splObjs implies a
> hardcoded contract with the VM; having it externally settable makes it look
> as if one could just stick in stuff for fun.

By 'For fun', you mean writing a plugin, which needs own a special
objects to work?
I wanted to add a special objects couple of times in plugins, but then i had to
step back , knowing that it will require overriding the #recreateSpecialObjects
method, which is tedious and error prone, because you never know if people
who may use your plugin could also use FFI, Alien or something else.

By keeping things intact, we're having a bottleneck which doesn't
allows developers
to use a special objects array in their plugins for own purposes (i
guess you're not
assuming that FFI and Alien are the only exceptional plugins which
having an ultimate right to
touch a special objects array).

> 2) The recreation of the
> splObjs implies specific knowledge about which values should be added and
> which values should be removed.

Sure, each part of a system knows wery well which objects should be
there and at what place.
But there is no need to recreate an array (unless it needs to grow) ,
and it could be done automatically,
by copying old objects into a new, bigger array, while revoking the
#recreateSpecialObjects from system completely.
For replacing an object(s) in array there is a simple as #at:put:
Ensuring an array size doesn't means automatically that it should be
rebuilt from scratch, in same way as OrderedCollection
doesn't forcing you to add all items from scratch into it, once it
needs to grow.

> In any case, there are only two packages that have ever made mods to the
> splObjs array (FFI and Alien) for *very* specialized reasons. We should just
> add these definitions manually and remove the patch from the Alien package.

I think you are mixing the cause and consequence here. As to me, the
reason, why there's only two
plugins who extending a special objects array is because its very
tedious and error prone.
Mostly because of conflicting overrides by different packages!

Anyways, if you don't like playing with special objects array. Please,
can we think of a scheme which at least
allows us to avoid overrides of a very same method by different packages?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.