[squeak-dev] Beeping now latches the cpu to hog all the compute cycles. (Linux/Ubuntu)

Ian Piumarta piumarta at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 20:01:57 UTC 2010

On Apr 10, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Can you try different sound options?

Excellent point, and just reminded me of something that might explain
why I see no problem with audio CPU usage.

I'd been having persistent and widespread audio problems in many apps
since Ubuntu 9.10, with various ugly workarounds needed to get sound
out of several apps, not just squeak.  Finally I found the ultimate
solution that makes audio "just work" again, like it always used to,
on Ubuntu.  Two trivial steps:

apt-get remove pulseaudio
apt-get install esound

Perfect, flawless audio ever since.