[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] SqueakSource is unusable

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Apr 10 17:16:54 UTC 2010

Thanks.

I just merged the stuff I developed lately for our Squeak source server with Lukas' latest (lr.1038) and published back to the shared repository. But the new layout was not in there yet.

- Bert -

On 10.04.2010, at 10:17, Michael Haupt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> why not just forward it to squeak-dev? Like this?
>
> Best,
>
> Michael ;-)
>
> Am 10.04.2010 um 09:16 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr>:
>
>> Thanks jason
>>
>> I do not know who is in charge of Squeak source nowadays.
>> Adrian lukas do you know it?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Apr 10, 2010, at 6:38 AM, jaayer wrote:
>>
>>> or if not that, then nearly so.
>>>
>>> The biggest problem is the overall smallness of each page. The site is far too narrow and apparently was designed for monitors with 800x600 screen resolutions. This was unacceptable five years ago and is even more unacceptable now. Further, the fonts are tiny, and worse, they and almost every other sized property are specified using hard-coded pixel widths. For scalable, cross-platform design, percentages and em-widths should be preferred. Links should display some sort of text-decoration when moused-over so it is always clear which link will be selected when the user clicks, even when two or more links are especially close together. SqueakSource is, after the primary home pages, the public face of the Squeak and Pharo projects. It is crucial then that it look--if not great--at least decent. Enclosed is prettified CSS that fixes some of these defects. (Note that Image url() references need to be filled in, and it still probably needs some tweaking.)
>>>
>>> body {
>>> border:0;
>>> background:gray;
>>> text-align:center;
>>> margin:0;
>>> padding:10px;
>>> font-size:0.9em;
>>> }
>>>
>>> body,div,table,tr,td,th,form input,form submit {
>>> font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
>>> }
>>>
>>> table,tr,td,th,form {
>>> border:0;
>>> margin:0;
>>> padding:0;
>>> }
>>>
>>> th {
>>> text-align:left;
>>> }
>>>
>>> a,a:visited {
>>> color:#360484;
>>> text-decoration:none;
>>> }
>>>
>>> a:hover,a:active {
>>> text-decoration:underline;
>>> }
>>>
>>> #container {
>>> width:90%;
>>> background:white url(/inserturl) repeat-y 4%;
>>> border:1px solid black;
>>> border-top:5px solid black;
>>> border-bottom:5px solid black;
>>> text-align:left;
>>> margin:auto;
>>> }
>>>
>>> #top {
>>> width:100%;
>>> height:50px;
>>> background:url(/inserturl) no-repeat;
>>> border-bottom:1px solid black;
>>> font-size:0.7em;
>>> text-align:right;
>>> }
>>>
>>> #sstoolbar {
>>> height:2em;
>>> border-bottom:1px solid black;
>>> background:white;
>>> }
>>>
>>> #sstoolbar a {
>>> display:block;
>>> float:left;
>>> margin-left:-1px;
>>> border-left:1px solid black;
>>> border-right:1px solid black;
>>> line-height:2em;
>>> height:2em;
>>> letter-spacing:1px;
>>> text-decoration:none;
>>> padding:0px 10px;
>>> }
>>>
>>> #sstoolbar a:hover,#sstoolbar a:active {
>>> background-color:#360484;
>>> color:white;
>>> text-decoration: none;
>>> }