[squeak-dev] Beeping now latches the cpu to hog all the compute cycles. (Linux/Ubuntu)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Apr 10 16:16:52 UTC 2010

Can you try different sound options? The VM has a number of plugins available (OSS, ALSA, PulseAudio).

For Etoys we have had less then stellar experience with PulseAudio. So in the Etoys script if we detect Pulse running, we enable its OSS emulation and use OSS instead:

http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys.in

# if pulseaudio is running, fall back to OSS
if pulseaudio --check 2>/dev/null ; then
    VMOPTIONS="$VMOPTIONS -vm-sound-oss"
    if padsp true 2>/dev/null ; then
        WRAPPER=padsp
    fi
fi
exec $WRAPPER "$VM" $VMOPTIONS "$IMAGE" "$DOCUMENT" $IMOPTIONS

- Bert -