[squeak-dev] Re: Edgar from the Ostracism Re: Squeak 4.1 release candidate 2

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Apr 8 15:13:57 UTC 2010

On 4/8/2010 4:14 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>> But "Squeak" is a larger image than that, it's
>> the image that we as a community agree on is useful for us.
>
> Yes, of course.
> Remember I build FunSqueak , trying to have all projects used this days and
> some from the past working well in today image.

What you're saying here seems directly contradictory to what you're
saying below. Here you seem to be saying that the default image should
be one that includes many things...

>> But the opposite isn't true either. The goal of the standard image is to
>> provide a *useful* set of packages, not to be minimal, not to be
>> exhaustive. After 4.1 is released I'll be making an argument to
>> reshuffle some of the packages - for example, I'd like to see
>> Announcements, FFI, Games in, and Services and some others out. My take
>> is that the default image currently is actually not large enough and
>> doesn't include things that it absolutely should include.
>
>> Let me summarize this: I am in favor of providing regular small kernel
>> images. I am in favor of ensuring that going forward the core images
>> only get smaller, as small as we can make it. I am *stricly* against
>> shipping any of these images as "the Squeak image" because they're not
>> useful for the average Squeaker. The default image needs to be a
>> reasonable tradeoff between compactness, convenience, and exploration.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     - Andreas
>

> So you really don't believe in the idea...

... but this statement sounds as if you want the smallest possible
kernel image to ship as the default image. Which one is it? Please clarify.

Cheers,
   - Andreas