[squeak-dev] Re: Hudson build server

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Thu Apr 8 14:26:06 UTC 2010

Alexander Lazarević wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer. Looks very sophisticated, but I'm not at all
> familiar with Hudson.

I don't know much about it's internals either. I just use it, and don't
have to maintain it. It happens to be written in Java, and can integrate
with other programming languages. So it's a counter argument for
Smalltalk being a island on its own.

> I use perl scripts to create testbeds, copy image/change files and
> start/stop the testruns. Some Smalltalk scripts take care of getting the
> results. These are directly piped into a postgresDB. Then I use queries
> to create a report (or not).
>
> A nice side effect is, that I keep the updated images and can go easily
> back in time. (Ok, I need to cleanup some time).

I had initially set the build server to keep the last N=10 builds. It
actually keeps N builds, plus the last successful one, if none of the
last N were successful. I reduced it to 5 builds to reduce disk space
usage; also, I found old builds had little use.