[squeak-dev] Re: SqueakMap soon working in 4.0/4.1!

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Thu Apr 8 13:55:32 UTC 2010

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Göran> No, not really. Universes and SqueakMap are indeed direct
> Göran> "competitors" and I did argue hard for merging them when Lex
> Göran> wrote Universes - but he was not interested in that. Now Lex is
> Göran> not AFAIK active anymore so perhaps that path could easily be
> Göran> taken by the rest of us.
>
> Universes solved the problem of dependencies, though, and I don't
> think there much (yet?) in SqueakMap to fix that.

True, I started on my ideas for that (slightly too ambitious) and then
... Michal wrote Kabungu (dependencies for SM) but I never got it deployed.

If we "nuke" PU, then we really should add *some* kind of dependencies
to SM. Perhaps.

> Now that we have Gofer and Metacello... SqueakMap would be pretty useful
> if it could point to those descriptions.  We could make it the source of
> one-stop-shopping again.

Indeed, that is a really good idea. I like. SqueakMap was always meant
to be "package agnostic" and Metacello/Gofer - fine by me, just whip up
an SMInstaller subclass to deal with them! :)

regards, Göran