[squeak-dev] Re: SqueakMap soon working in 4.0/4.1!

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 03:12:13 UTC 2010

David T. Lewis said: **
"Because SqueakMap maintains a catalogue of packages that have been
developed over the last ten years or so, many of which are not readily
accessible through any other mechanism."

I don't think that there are many packages that are of use to anybody
on SqueakMap. If there is anything useful, it's found on
squeaksource.com. If they haven't been moved to squeaksource.com,
they've been abandoned.

"It is also useful because new Squeakers who explore the contents of
SqueakMap will find interesting artifacts to pique their interest,
whereas new Squeakers to encounter a broken SqueakMap will find only
frustration and confusion."

Beginners suffer most often from too much noise and not enough signal.
And that's what perpetuating this tool does. Their interest will not
be piqued, but there confusion will be. We will have made things
unclear by providing too many options. Beginners need not be confused
by a broken Squeak Map: it should be removed.

I know that's not going to happen. I know there's no will in the
community to do this. It doesn't make it any less wrong. And with all
due respect, David, I know a lot more about beginner-hood in dealing
with Squeak than you do. You're an expert. You're pretty far removed
from this problem.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Pharo is right on this point.
SqueakMap must be destroyed.

Chris

**