[squeak-dev] [Ann] [Cuis] Cuis 2.3 released

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 01:04:16 UTC 2010

Juan,

I've finally made some time to attempt to migrate from Cuis 2.0->2.3
(yeah, I missed a couple of releases :-) and have run into some
issues.  The main one that jumped out at me is when I filed out my
changesets from the 2.0 image and then back in to 2.3: in many places
(strangely, not all), underscore assignment is being used when *all*
of my code in 2.0 used := (and when I view the code before installing
the changeset, it indicates that := was used on the fileout)... so
this is either a regression (I didn't have this problem loading into
2.0) or a feature.  If it's a feature, can it be disabled?
#allowUnderscoreAssignment is true in both versions and is the only
pref I saw that seemed possibly related but since there was no
difference in the setting, I didn't expect any difference in behavior.

The other things I've run into so far are problems with what appears
to be an incomplete changeset being generated by 2.0 (specifically
with a class that I had renamed) and a hard crash problem (i.e. the
image literally just quits/crashes with no error) related to OpenGL/
FFI that I wasn't having in 2.0.  These two are more FYI at this stage
(and if either of these problems sounds familiar, by all means please
let me know) as I still have some investigating to do to see if there
is something on my end that is the cause of these problems or if it's
something I can figure out a fix for and provide to you.

Now that I've finally gotten just about all of my stuff migrated to
Cuis, I'm going to use this migration as an opportunity to clean my
code up a little (OK, a lot :-) so that hopefully I won't fall so far
behind future releases and can provide more timely feedback going
forward.

One additional item I would like to get your thoughts on is whether or
not you think that maintaining compliance with the ANSI Smalltalk spec
(or some other standard) where possible (i.e. it's a capability that
is included in Cuis) is a worthwhile goal?  This seems like it might
be helpful in trying to remain at least minimally compatible with
packages not specifically developed for Cuis.

Thanks,
Phil