[squeak-dev] SqueakMap soon working in 4.0/4.1!

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Apr 7 12:38:03 UTC 2010

Hi folks!

Ok, so Maya is playing with a friend which means that I got some time
"on my own" in the sofa with my laptop :)

Thus I have done the following:

1. Added code to serialize/deserialize map using SmartRefStream. It
seems to be just as fast and small as an ImageSegment, almost even
faster! As a quick fix this seems the way to go. Any thoughts on that is
welcome.

2. Fixed several bugs in the SqueakMap code in trunk - it has evidently
rotted away! Downloading was broken by a refactoring done in january but
it was also broken due to changes in the HTTP code etc. Trival things to
fix though.

So now I have a working SqueakMap package loader in the rc2 image using
current unix VM. This relies on map files that are SmartRefStreams
instead called ".rgz" instead of ".sgz".

In order to be "all happy" we need to changet the code on the server
running at map.squeak.org so that it produces and hands out
SmartRefStream maps instead.

With a bit of luck I think we can make this switch for ALL images out
there using SqueakMap - SqueakMap has a version protocol so outdated
clients can react and autoupdate themselves. I will try this late tonight.

The executive summary: We should be able to have a working SqueakMap in
a few days.

regards, Göran