[squeak-dev] Re: Edgar from the Ostracism Re: Squeak 4.1 release candidate 2

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:07:18 UTC 2010

On 4/6/10 9:04 AM, "Juan Vuletich" <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> Edgar is not advocating the use of change sets for building the release.
> He is asking for the automatic generation of change sets from MC, as
> another form of the release. I see two good uses for that. One is for
> somebody updating from the previous release and wanting to study in
> detail the changes that were made, perhaps for cherry picking. The other
> use is to help other forks (yes, like Cuis :) ) to follow what's going
> on, and integrate as appropriate.

Thanks, is almost the point.
You can made real .cs coming from trunk and put this real .cs on the updates
folder.
This works until 3.8 and do not hurt any.
In fact , maybe this is used in Etoys 4.0

And I tell some times this .cs do not load or show some Monticello hide.
The other gain is many, many Squeakers was very comfortable with old plain
.cs and not with Monticello.
If we open the doors, we could have more qualified help.
And yes, is some work for any taking the Release job.

> Does that mean that producing change sets from MC is difficult
No, I solved this some time ago and send the .cs to Andreas.
In particular about the frontier, boundary, you named of some code belongs
to 4.0 (No Closures) and some code belongs to 4.1 (Closures).

And do not say we do not talk about this...

Edgar