[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] Redline Smalltalk

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 07:24:37 UTC 2010

Hi,

2010/4/6 Dan Ingalls <Dan at squeakland.org>:
> I think you know of my JSqueak project (a.k.a. Potato) -- a Squeak VM
> written in Java.  The image that I used with it, is the same that I always
> use for this kind of experiment -- mini.image built in Squeak 2.2.
> The reason it is so cool is that it includes browser, editor, compiler,
> inspector debugger, and files -- everything you need for self-support.  Plus
> it has the decompiler, and special temp-name hack, so you can actually
> browse sources with temp names before any file system works.  My favorite
> thing about this image is that although it is only 600k, if you decompile
> all its sources, it comprises over 850k of Smalltalk, so it's like a
> compressed version of the sources with a full-function IDE thrown in for
> free ;-).
> I haven't looked recently, but I think you'll find Mini2.2.image or
> something like it in the same place where all the historical releases of
> Squeak are kept.  Let me know if you can't find it.

let me add that the project - it is unfortunately in a somewhat
dormant state due to lack of manpower - can be found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/potatovm/

Some extensions to the original JSqueak were implemented; mostly they
had to do with colour and font handling. The VM also includes an
optimisation for Large...Integer objects, utilising Java BigIntegers
as shadows.

HPI students once approached a JIT compiler (not finished); the code
is available by request.

Best,

Michael