[squeak-dev] Version Support and Statistics Gathering

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sun Apr 4 19:03:57 UTC 2010

For some reason I was thinking earlier today about the recent issues
with SqueakMap and Göran's very reasonable desire to continue to support
versions all the way back to 3.8 (IIRC).  I certainly agree that this is
a good idea in general but there are costs involved and compromises that
have to be made to support multiple versions, costs that increase as we
release new versions.

I think we should consider ways of measuring the actual need for
supporting past versions.  It has occurred to me that it would probably
not be too difficult to have SqueakMap send the Squeak version info
(platform and VM version also?) to the SqueakMap server, say each time
the map is updated.  SqueakMap could record this information on the
server and as it accumulates we could start to get some picture
regarding, at least, the use of SqueakMap in the various Squeak
versions.  It would also provide some window into the overall picture of
what Squeak versions are out there and being used.  I suspect this would
be useful information for many of us.

Would anyone likely object to this information being sent?  Again all
I'm thinking of at the moment is the Image version, the VM version, and
the platform.

Ken