[squeak-dev] Cobalt VR Meetup follow-up

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 01:17:07 UTC 2010

That was pretty fun.

I posted a link to the LDAP called Tron Legacy and had people join in the
CobaltWorldIntro space. I tried the default CobaltWorld space, but I've
added OpenGL code to it and Aik-Siong couldn't join my world. So I switched
to CobaltWorldIntro.

We tried the audio chat by hitting a button in the lower left of the screen,
and at one point we had four people talking while their avatars were
standing in a group. My voice, as the host world, sounded choppy, which may
be a result of my bandwidth, because other people were connecting to my
computer. I have 4768 Kbps down/ and 787 up. (Thank you testmyspeed.com).

One problem is that almost everybody was an Alice avatar, which is too the
same. There is a menu option to change avatars, but there is only one .mdl
file in that directory - Alice. So, I'll need to get some new .mdl files for
next time.

Also for next time, we probably want to meet at a place that has higher
bandwidth than my DSL Basic package from Bell Canada.

So that's it for this month. One person said they wanted to do it again
sooner, which should be as easy as posting a message on the OpenCobalt
Google Group ( http://groups.google.com/group/opencobalt ).

Thank you to the people who participated. I look forward to doing it again,
and hope to see your avatar again in May.

Chris