Splitting Object Memory (was Re: [squeak-dev] My own Squeak direction)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Nov 17 18:28:07 UTC 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > Sure: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/584
>
> Sounds a bit less simple than what I had in mind. Your idea is more
> flexible, of course, but I wonder if it's not too complex to get adopted?

That seems to be the case, which is ironic given that the Chunky Squeak
proposal was a simplification of http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5637
(viewpoints and islands were eliminated) in order to be something that
might get adopted. If I have to go in my own direction, then it might as
well be the full system instead.

Even simpler systems than Chunky Squeak would still be useful. You can
limit it to two levels, for example, or eliminate the "patch old
objects" stuff. The key idea is to not divide a bunch of bits into two
pieces and then put them together again using a changed version of one
of the pieces (which is what we have with ImageSegments). If you join
the same exact bits and it worked before, it will work again.

-- Jecel